The Reluctant Fundamentalist to close IFFI Goa tonight

100 Years Of Indian Cinema, 43rd International Film Festival Of India, Closing Film Of The 43rd International Film Festival Of India, IFFi, IFFI 2012, IFFI Closing Ceremony, IFFI Festival Director, IFFI Goa, International Film Festival Of India, Longinus Fernandes, Mira Nair, Mohsin Hamid, Panaji, Paul Cox, PVR Cinemas, Rohit Roy, Shankar Mohan, Shimit Amin, The Reluctant Fundamentalist, The Reluctant Fundamentalist Premiere

It’s curtains down on the 43rd International Film Festival of India with Mira Nair’s film. The director speaks on the sidelines

The closing ceremony of the 43rd International Film Festival of India will be held tonight, and Mira Nair’s latest film The Reluctant Fundamentalist will have its India premiere on the occasion. The ceremony will be hosted by TV actor Rohit Roy and Australian filmmaker Paul Cox will be the guest of honour. A pick of films from the festival will be honoured with awards like Best Film, Best Director, Best Actor (Male and Female), Special Jury Awards, and the Centenary Film Award to celebrate the 100 years of Indian cinema.
Ahead of the closing of IFFI Goa, Nair interacted with the audience and revealed what made her take up the film. She said in a statement, “My inspiration to make The Reluctant Fundamentalist came from my first trip to Pakistan in 2004 when I was invited to showcase my films, which are sort of popular in there. My relationship with Pakistan is special as my father was born and educated in Lahore and had to come back to India after the partition. So as a child growing up in modern India, we still speak Urdu at home. It was sometime later that I read the manuscript of the book which was Mohsin Hamid’s second book, which formed the base of my film.”
On showcasing the film at IFFI, Nair said, “We have opened the film in Venice, Toronto, Doha, London and all other festivals and nothing else makes me happy to bring it back home. I am very pleased to be here especially with my colleague Shimit Amin who is a wonderful director in his own regard. He gave me the privilege of spending a year of our lives together editing The Reluctant Fundamentalist. I am also happy to be with the first choice of my heart PVR Cinemas to open the film. It will open worldwide in April and it is a great honour to be here hosting the first Indian premiere of the movie.”
On her experience working on the film, she further revealed, “The Reluctant Fundamentalist is the most difficult film of my life and took three years to adapt into a screenplay. The film is more of a monologue and needs to be looked into as a dialogue. It was shot across four continents and has the major film stars from all across the world. The movie is a real comment on what is going on in the world today, and charts out the upheavals of the past decade. This is what took me five years to complete the movie and gives me great satisfaction now to see the appreciation and the reception the movie gets.”

No comments:

Post a Comment